News

no
Sunday, March 12, 2017

March 12, 2017




At a symposium to commemorate the International Albinism Awareness Day, experts teach albinos skin protection techniques and ways to live normal live.


From the look on the faces of many passersby, one could deduce that they were in awe as to what this huge number of albinos, old and young, could be doing at the Medical Center Staff Club, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH.

"Albinism is caused by a defect in one of several genes that produce or distribute melanin and the defect may result in the absence of melanin production, or a reduced amount of melanin production," 

Ayanlowo said.

"Recognizing the need to increase awareness and understanding of albinism is important in order to fight against discrimination and stigma against persons with albinism," 
 Olabisi Bamishe Oladipo, a journalist who is also an albino, explained that as a child,

 "I grappled with what it meant to be a person with albinism. At a tender age, I realised the color of my skin was different from those of my peers, siblings and parents.

 It was difficult performing the same tasks with my peers because I had unable to see what was written on the blackboard and so, I had to rely on the assistance of my classmates.

 Moreover, teachers were not all that helpful because they couldn't understand why I could not see what was written on the blackboard despite the fact that I was always sitting on the front seat".

 against all odds,I was able to continued even to my university days and beyond successful in my profession.":

The international Albinism Awareness Day was set up by the United Nations,UN, due to the attacks against persons with albinism.

 On November 18, 2014, due to advocacy ' Under The Same Sun', UTSS, an international non-governmental organization advocating the human rights of persons with albinism and cooperation with various UN agencies, a third historic resolution on albinism was adopted by vote by UN General Assembly in New York. The resolution proclaimed June 13 as International Albinism Awareness Day, effective from 2015.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Africa Albinism Network Launches Innovative Toolkit

In a significant stride towards promoting inclusivity and safeguarding the rights of individuals with albinism, the Africa Albinism Network ...