News

no
Sunday, June 20, 2021

June 20, 2021


'I believe the best is yet to come' - IK

The theme for this year's International  Albinism  Awareness  Day is 'Strength Beyond  All Odds'. Below  is the message from  United  Nations  Independent  Expert  on  the Enjoyment of  Human Rights by People Living With Albinism,  Ikponwose Ero.

 Hello everyone,  my name is  Ikponwose Ero.  I am United Nations Independent Expert on Enjoyment of  Human Rights  by People Living With Albinism. Its my pleasure to be here with you all today to celebrate the International Albinism Awareness Day via video. This year, we celebrate under the theme, 'Strength Beyond All Odds'. 

This year's theme was chosen for several reasons.  

First, to highlight the good quality of people living with albinism around the world. 

The second  reason is to encourage everyone during this global pandemic and to join global effort to build back better.

Thirdly and finally,  to celebrate how people living with albinism worldwide are meeting our exceeding expectations. This is the fact I have witnessed in the last six years while serving on this mandate.

 Since I began in 2015, the situation  of people living with albinism  have become increasingly mainstream. It has become normalized and  mainstream  into human  rights  circle, certainly in to reporting and advocacy in the United Nations. Thanks to many of you.  Also  . Scores of groups and organisations representing PWA have increased in their Capacity and many have received funding for the very first time.

Further, while  serving under this mandate, many countries that recorded attacks against people living with albinism are no longer recording any case of attack. However, unfortunately some countries continued to have cases in the African region. The most recent was reported only yesterday. The good news is that the African Union in collaboration with my mandate have developed a plan of action to bring  an end to these atrocities. That action road map of concrete and specific measures of government and other stakeholders in carrying out to bring an end to these crimes. 

In addition, I am happy to see that the African region has now developed several sub regional collaborations including the newly formed Africa Albinism Alliance. Other regions such as South America are also advancing in their collection building.

I also see a lot of creation of similar action in certain parts of Asia. At the international level, the Global Albinism Alliance is taking good shape. It has conducted studies that had never been conducted on the issue of albinism and It is fast becoming global focus trend for people living with albinism, their family members and researchers on albinism.

In a few weeks, I will be finishing my mandate at the United Nations and another one will take my place. However, I will continue to be a part of this issue because it is personal. I am determined that children coming after you and I who have albinism will have an excellent experience. I will be here in my personal capacity to support everyone in their endeavors to make this discrimination and stigma against people living with albinism a thing of the past. I will also be here to support researchers, report writers on this issue.

It has also been a privilege to serve people living with albinism and their family members at the United Nations  and Internationally. I believe the best is yet to come. I thank you in Solidarity with you and everyone who is overcoming this global epidemic.

I wish you all happy albinism awareness day and  applaud our  collective  efforts.  Please, have strength against all odds. Thank you bye for now.

This year's IAAD featured talks on Low Vision Cancer, Ear & nose, between the age of 5-14 who sho

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Africa Albinism Network Launches Innovative Toolkit

In a significant stride towards promoting inclusivity and safeguarding the rights of individuals with albinism, the Africa Albinism Network ...